Vibration is undesirable in domains like engineered systems and habitable spaces, and methods have been developed to prevent the transfer of vibration to such systems. Those vibrations cause damage to the equipment and create unsafe working conditions. Anti-vibration pads protect both assets and people by isolating and attenuating noise and vibration, preventing damage to both machinery and the environment in which it works. Optimum performance service is however guaranteed only if the anti-vibration pads are both specified and installed correctly.
The operating conditions, like the temperature and surroundings of the application, will help to determine the best possible solutions. There are other factors that also must be studied to enable informed decision and using specifications of a suitable anti-vibration pad, such as:
- Centre of gravity
- Disturbing frequency
- Static loading
- Equipment configuration
- Mass moment of inertia
- Shock/Thrust loading
- Natural frequency
The Anti-Vibration Pads reduce the noise and vibration generated by machinery or appliances like compressors, conveyors, diesel generators, washing machine, air-conditioning, refrigeration plants, fans, motors, pumps, etc. The bottom treads grip the floor, ensuring stability. Material is engineered to reduce noise and vibration. When the vibration damping pads are subjected to a vibrating load, the body member will dampen such vibrations. It is to be noted that when the vibration pad carries a load, the outer edge will deform from its position. This will cause a greater portion of the rim to contact the supporting surface on which vibration pad rests to provide a greater force resisting creep thereby permitting a pad to support the leg of a machine against lateral movement without being anchored to the supporting surface. There are various types of anti-vibration pads which should be identified after proper analysis. Different types are discussed below:
- Ribbed mounting padsAlternate low/high ribbed constructionEasy on-field installationEasy to cut pads to align with the size of the machine or leg, using knives or shearsto increase deflection, multiple layers of ribbed mounting pad can be used
- Cork sandwich padsThey are laminated pads having grained cork securely fused between two layers of alternate low-high ribbed rubber padsBolting not neededOffers highest level of vibration isolation and sound diminution
- Metal sandwich padsThey are constructed of a steel plate merged between ribbed anti-vibration padsAbility to handle very high load capacity
Below are the salient features of anti-vibration pads or anti-vibration mats:
- These are designed scientifically resilient material that can isolate shocks and all the types of vibrations and reduce audible noise.
- They give more deflection than any other materials
- They have greater sound insulation ability and are cheaper than metal springs
- They are highly resistant to cleaning compounds, oil, dirt, water, strength, heat aging, and fatigue.
- These are mostly used for production equipment, machine tools, ventilation and heating equipment, pumps, generators, air handling units, under heavy concrete bases, electronics or sensitive laboratory apparatus, computers and data processor, business machines, etc.
There are various manufacturers out there offering a variety of anti-vibration pads with a varied price range. Select a company who is specialized in the producing anti-vibrators tool and opt that best fits the applicational requirement. The buyers first need to understand what their requirements are in terms of size and location of equipment placement. As inappropriate devices can make one life’s hard in terms of damaging the machinery or stopping the entire process of production. While anti-vibration equipment can be specified at any stage of a project, there are typically fewer restrictions if they are measured at the onset of the design phase. If considered in too late, costs may be exorbitant to adjust the space envelope or available locations for the pads or mounts to be installed. Even after the vigorous specification process, the performance of an anti-vibration pad can be stalled by incorrect fittings. All surfaces must be clean, dry and free from wreckages before the device can be fitted. The equipment to be mounted must be lifted carefully onto sufficient supports both to maintain correct alignment when lowered on to the mount, and also to prevent damage to the asset or to individuals during installations. Therefore, consult with the specialist who has great expertise in this field to help you with the selection of the best anti-vibration pads.